Picking Your Primary Care Physician (PCP)
Your Primary Care Provider (PCP) and Primary Dental Provider (PDP)
When you join AmeriHealth District of Columbia, one of our doctors will manage your care. This doctor is called your Primary Care Provider or your PCP. Your PCP will help you and your family get the health care you need.
How to pick your PCP
- If your current PCP is a member of AmeriHealth District of Columbia's network, you may stay with that doctor.
- You can choose from a list of doctors in our provider directory. The provider directory has the office locations, hours of operation, telephone numbers, and other information about AmeriHealth District of Columbia's providers.
- Call Member Services at 202-408-4720 (or 1-800-408-7511) if you need help picking a doctor, or once you choose a doctor.
- If you have trouble choosing a PCP, refer to your member handbook.
- Choose a PCP for each family member in your plan, including doctors.
- AmeriHealth District of Columbia will send you a member ID card. Your card will have your PCPs name and phone number on it.
Tips for picking your PCP
- Pick a doctor who is close to your home or work.
- Try to pick a doctor who can send you to the hospital you want. The provider directory lists which hospitals a PCP can send you to.
- Sometimes the PCP you choose won't be able to take new patients. We will let you know if you need to pick a different doctor.
Your Primary Dental Provider (PDP)
When you join AmeriHealth District of Columbia, the plan's dental program will send you information about choosing your dentist. Your dentist is called your Primary Dental Provider or PDP. You can call DentaQuest at 800-685-0615 (toll free). You can also call Member Services at 202-408-4720 or (1-800-408-7511) for questions about how to choose or change your PDP.
If you need help or if you have any questions, you can call Member Services at 202-408-4720 or 1-800-408-7511.